Already 100000 members!
1000 comics & mangas

You are not logged in.

#1 19 Jan, 2012 23:31:14

Robot Panda

Not sure if you're aware, but at the time of writing this post, Megaupload is unavailable. Apparently, the company's owner was arrested by the FBI for piracy or something. Yes, a file hosting service's owner gets owned for providing nice an quality service.

Link to an article that explains more

According to this article, Megaupload has cost entertainment industries over $620 million. Now... isn't this funny? MW3 made $400 million in a day. Went to 17 billion in a few weeks. Smurfs Avatar made a bit less in the same time. These are the two majors in the entertainment, but when you look at these numbers you can see how $620 million isn't that great a number compared to what they actually make.

Just FYI, this is the 2nd time Megaupload gets taken down. After the first time, a song was made by various famous and semi-famous artists in support of the site. Yeah, the guys that are hurt most by piracy actually made a song to support the site.

EDIT: In answer to this, the largest hacking attack ever took place. Basically, everything went down. Read here:
http://rt.com/usa/news/anonymous-doj-un … -sopa-235/

#2 20 Jan, 2012 22:18:51

ivy-mitsuno

Yeah I heard this morning, I understand the "why"...kinda sad though about it but this is the kinda of thing that will be on and on...afterall this is the internet

#3 21 Jan, 2012 09:54:35

Mart
ivy-mitsuno wrote:

Yeah I heard this morning, I understand the "why"...kinda sad though about it but this is the kinda of thing that will be on and on...afterall this is the internet

Be quiet, SOPA is listening! big_smile big_smile big_smile

#4 22 Jan, 2012 12:21:10

Robot Panda
ivy-mitsuno wrote:

That's the thing. The "why" is stupid. Yes, people host pirated stuff on ALL sites that allow users to host files without moderation. I doubt there is one without any pirated content on it. All video sharing sites, all file hosting services, all are cramped with pirated content. That means that those sites should be shut down?

There's the DMCA that does its job in protecting digital entertainment. Taking a provider of a service down and to prison because their users decided to host mp3s on their site.

@Axile xD SOPA isn't a threat anymore, we can rest. However, it is scary that the FBI doesn't need such an act, they can just act.

#5 22 Jan, 2012 16:52:09

Mart
Robot Panda wrote:

@Axile xD SOPA isn't a threat anymore, we can rest. However, it is scary that the FBI doesn't need such an act, they can just act.

I know, the internet users took SOPA to Mordor! smile

Board footer