Already 132189 members!
1400 comics & mangas

You are not logged in.

#1 14 Mar, 2012 13:38:55

TroyB
Administrator

6 MONTHS OF OUR LIVES !
Subscription closing in September 15 2011 ... publication of final results March 15 2012 ... It is with great emotion that in publishing today the final rankings of this competition, we turn a page in 6 months!
6 months that have punctuated the lives of participating artists, but also the daily life of the team Amilova who organized and supervised the contest.
We would first like to thank the readers who have followed and supported the authors throughout the contest!
We also thank the jury who has analyzed, ranked and commented the works with great professionalism.
And of course, we congratulate the authors who had the courage to participate and the tenacity to go through with the contest!
If you want to read the results, it is at the bottom!
Before the results, we present the jury and the scoring criterion.

THE JURY
We have built this jury around several comic and art professionals.
Have participated :

José Bacchi : Fine Arts teacher in college "Les Eucalyptus" in Nice, France.

Michael Bettinelli : french comic illustrator published in "Les Ardents", author of the comic "Le Grimoire Pourpre" http://www.bettinelli-michael.com/portfolio

Moonkey : belgian mangaka published in "Pika", author of the  mangas "Dys", "Lena" and "Necromancer" http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonkey

Nicolas Demay : journalist and head of manga publication for the magazine "Planetebd.com"

PKRG : co-founder of Amilova.com, publisher and coordinator at "Amilova Publishing house"

Piratesourcil : french comic illustrator, published in "Lestylobulles", author of the comic "Les Aventures délirantes du Piratesourcil" http://piratesourcil.blogspot.com/

Salagir : co-founder of Amilova.com, scenarist of the mangas "Hémispheres", "Dragon Bros" and "Dragonball-Multiverse"

TroyB : co-founder of Amilova.com, scenarist of the manga Amilova

CRITERION
Each work was evaluated and commented by the jury upon the following criterion:

Creativity : general originality, and innovation effort of the artist.
Drawing: quality and care given to the drawing.
Storyboarding : readability of the actions, consistency of storytelling, layout.
Scenario: quality, interest of the history.
Dialogs: readability and interest of the texts, care given to the spelling.

Each criterion has been scored on 20.
The scores have then been assembled, balanced and harmonized.

THE RESULTS !
***1: LAPIN ET TORTUE !
The big winner! Supported by Fans AND the Jury !
Congratulations to Ibi for his years of efforts and his talent !!!
"Lapin et Tortue" will soon be published in 1000 copies, and Ibi will receive a grant of 1000 euros !

**2: ONLY TWO !
Congratulations to Jérome !
Only Two will be soon published in 500 copies. And Jérome will receive a grant of 500 euros !

*3: PSYCHOMANTIUM
Congratulations to Eskhar she will receive a grant of 100 euros !

THE TOP 15 !
Congratulations to the artists of the top15 who have been supported by readers and by the Jury !
All works in the top15 will soon be published in a special book !

• 4: Food Attack

• 5: Human Puppets

• 6: Etat des lieux

• 7: Enemy inside

• 8: Full Moon

• 9: Sasori

• 10: Bishop's Normal Adventures

• 11: Dragon Scream

• 12: ARKHAM

• 13: Dark Eagle

• 14: Apple strength

• 15: Réflexions Affligeantes

SPECIAL PRIZE OF THE JURY
Special prize for the comic "Les 3 Mousquetaires" that has been much appreciated by the jury. The poor amount of votes from the readers gave him a bad ranking so it can't be in the Top15, but we want this book to be part of the special book too !

TOP30 / GRADES / COMMENTS
Below is the TOP30.
Commentaires and grades on these works will be given individually to the artists that will contact by private message TroyB. Only by private message, and only if asked by the concerned artist, these informations will not be published and will remain private.

• 16: HELLSHLING

• 17: Oscar Fé

• 18: Retro Futur

• 19: Imperfect

• 20: SethXFaye

• 21: Mythes et Légendes

• 22: Trois Mousquetaires

• 23: Aka-chan

• 24: Irène et les Heimdalls

• 25: The Eye of Poseidon

• 26: Nolan

• 27: Fireworks Detective

• 28: Coeur d'Aigle

• 29: Cupidon Boy

• 30: La Légende des dragons

A BIG THANKS AND... WHAT'S NEXT ?
When will the books be published? Soon.
When is the next competition? Soon, depending on the success of this first competition. Did artist enjoy it? Did reader enjoy it? Answers to these questions will have a great influence on what is coming next.

Big big thanks to the readers, the jury and the artists !

The Amilova Team

♫ Tu veux publier ta BD sur Amilova ? Lis les instructions et envois moi un message privé wink.

#2 16 Mar, 2012 07:35:18

TroyB
Administrator

I'm surprised in 2 days this topic didn't get any reaction... I should add this rule "if you're in the top 15 and too jaded or lazy to contact me right after the results are published, you're disqualified" :-D

Troy

♫ Tu veux publier ta BD sur Amilova ? Lis les instructions et envois moi un message privé wink.

#3 19 Mar, 2012 10:00:03

johandark

Well... I did not commented before... basically because I have nothing to say... I was twelve before the judge of the jury... and I´m still twelve after the Judge of the Jury... So... I´m not really on the mood to comment. XD

I´m really happy to have the oportunity on the amilova´s project with my professional contract and in fact, I´m deeply focused on my work now.

It´s only that I would love to know the opinion of the every person of the Jury... and what they think about my work of Arkham...

But it´s not a thing to ask on this post... That´s why I did not commented before... xD

(But I´m really happy for my friend AC Puig, who cannot comment in this forum because he doesn´t know too much of english, but he is really shocked to be in the 4th position, me too, bu in different way.. xD)

SALUT!

mysteries, ghosts, undead, horror, religion, blood, sex, and of course ... humor!---------- ARKHAM

#4 19 Mar, 2012 10:12:12

babee
TroyB wrote:

I'm surprised in 2 days this topic didn't get any reaction... I should add this rule "if you're in the top 15 and too jaded or lazy to contact me right after the results are published, you're disqualified" :-D

Troy

Hi Troy B! Well  I'm not in the top 15, but I m very happy to participate in your contest! smile I see your topic has posted  in 14 of March, sorry I don't aswer sad  in last weekend I post a page I see the topics in site, after that,  today I have time and so I visited Amilova! and wen I see your message! sad   sorry one more time.
  Congratulations for all participants! and the winners!!! good job everyone!! smile

#5 19 Mar, 2012 16:03:00

A.C.Puig
TroyB wrote:

6 MONTHS OF OUR LIVES !
Subscription closing in September 15 2011 ... publication of final results March 15 2012 ... It is with great emotion that in publishing today the final rankings of this competition, we turn a page in 6 months!
6 months that have punctuated the lives of participating artists, but also the daily life of the team Amilova who organized and supervised the contest.
We would first like to thank the readers who have followed and supported the authors throughout the contest!
We also thank the jury who has analyzed, ranked and commented the works with great professionalism.
And of course, we congratulate the authors who had the courage to participate and the tenacity to go through with the contest!
If you want to read the results, it is at the bottom!
Before the results, we present the jury and the scoring criterion.

THE JURY
We have built this jury around several comic and art professionals.
Have participated :

José Bacchi : Fine Arts teacher in college "Les Eucalyptus" in Nice, France.

Michael Bettinelli : french comic illustrator published in "Les Ardents", author of the comic "Le Grimoire Pourpre" http://www.bettinelli-michael.com/portfolio

Moonkey : belgian mangaka published in "Pika", author of the  mangas "Dys", "Lena" and "Necromancer" http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonkey

Nicolas Demay : journalist and head of manga publication for the magazine "Planetebd.com"

PKRG : co-founder of Amilova.com, publisher and coordinator at "Amilova Publishing house"

Piratesourcil : french comic illustrator, published in "Lestylobulles", author of the comic "Les Aventures délirantes du Piratesourcil" http://piratesourcil.blogspot.com/

Salagir : co-founder of Amilova.com, scenarist of the mangas "Hémispheres", "Dragon Bros" and "Dragonball-Multiverse"

TroyB : co-founder of Amilova.com, scenarist of the manga Amilova

CRITERION
Each work was evaluated and commented by the jury upon the following criterion:

Creativity : general originality, and innovation effort of the artist.
Drawing: quality and care given to the drawing.
Storyboarding : readability of the actions, consistency of storytelling, layout.
Scenario: quality, interest of the history.
Dialogs: readability and interest of the texts, care given to the spelling.

Each criterion has been scored on 20.
The scores have then been assembled, balanced and harmonized.

THE RESULTS !
***1: LAPIN ET TORTUE !
The big winner! Supported by Fans AND the Jury !
Congratulations to Ibi for his years of efforts and his talent !!!
"Lapin et Tortue" will soon be published in 1000 copies, and Ibi will receive a grant of 1000 euros !

**2: ONLY TWO !
Congratulations to Jérome !
Only Two will be soon published in 500 copies. And Jérome will receive a grant of 500 euros !

*3: PSYCHOMANTIUM
Congratulations to Eskhar she will receive a grant of 100 euros !

THE TOP 15 !
Congratulations to the artists of the top15 who have been supported by readers and by the Jury !
All works in the top15 will soon be published in a special book !

• 4: Food Attack

• 5: Human Puppets

• 6: Etat des lieux

• 7: Enemy inside

• 8: Full Moon

• 9: Sasori

• 10: Bishop's Normal Adventures

• 11: Dragon Scream

• 12: ARKHAM

• 13: Dark Eagle

• 14: Apple strength

• 15: Réflexions Affligeantes

SPECIAL PRIZE OF THE JURY
Special prize for the comic "Les 3 Mousquetaires" that has been much appreciated by the jury. The poor amount of votes from the readers gave him a bad ranking so it can't be in the Top15, but we want this book to be part of the special book too !

TOP30 / GRADES / COMMENTS
Below is the TOP30.
Commentaires and grades on these works will be given individually to the artists that will contact by private message TroyB. Only by private message, and only if asked by the concerned artist, these informations will not be published and will remain private.

• 16: HELLSHLING

• 17: Oscar Fé

• 18: Retro Futur

• 19: Imperfect

• 20: SethXFaye

• 21: Mythes et Légendes

• 22: Trois Mousquetaires

• 23: Aka-chan

• 24: Irène et les Heimdalls

• 25: The Eye of Poseidon

• 26: Nolan

• 27: Fireworks Detective

• 28: Coeur d'Aigle

• 29: Cupidon Boy

• 30: La Légende des dragons

A BIG THANKS AND... WHAT'S NEXT ?
When will the books be published? Soon.
When is the next competition? Soon, depending on the success of this first competition. Did artist enjoy it? Did reader enjoy it? Answers to these questions will have a great influence on what is coming next.

Big big thanks to the readers, the jury and the artists !

The Amilova Team

# 4 8D. is really cool! also know who has been voted by professionals gives me great joy to me ^ ^. amilova through, I'm becoming more professional and I'm closer to fulfilling my purpose in life XD. I owe much to this webcomic ...So that I will do everything I can to entertain the readers the best I can!
thank you very much and I'm sorry for the translation: P.

#6 20 Mar, 2012 07:24:50

TroyB
Administrator

Thanks for your positive reactions smile !

I hope we will have the opportunity to make other competitions like this... there are many new authors that arrived since then... a new competition would be interesting wink.

Troy

#7 21 Mar, 2012 10:47:34

IDias

I have to agree. It was a great experience.
The things I didn't like was:
One comic receiving so much votes since the very first week it was too boring to wait or to vote untill the last week to know the winner, since one vote wouldn't change the difference too big of votes there was between the first two positions.
I think it was also the voters who had a little guilt at choosing only 3 foreign works.
Also, they prefered to vote in already existant series intead of reading new ones. (you can change this in the next competition).
Series based on already existing characters like lapin et Tortue; Hellsing; trois mousquetaires (even if this last one was an impressing job, but not a completly original idea...) got special attention and eclipsed some hidden gems. If I was another person, I'll copy a weel known book instead on working on my own works in the next competition or relying on popularity, but I'm not that kind of writter. (that's a bad stuff to do, but some people do)
It was maybe this last things the reason why so many people leaved competition (my reason was completely different, I am changing the entire first chapter).
It wasn't the voter's guilt the fact they didn't vote. My case was I was reading some of the works, but I didn't had time to vote, since I didn't log in in the last week of the competition.

For this give 2 weeks to vote after the contest's ending.
Giving the results every week may had influenced, I think you could do this only in the last one. Maybe the fact this was a french community may influenced the votes depending on the language.

What I liked:
the concerning you guys had in taking the competition on the run
the support we had in everything, since the publication, doubt-solving and even when understanding
the friends we made
the readers giving feedback
the fair play between contestants, not a rant as far as I knew
The whole experience

I think the jury should leave a reason they liked the works (a phrase could be more than enough) in each one of the winners.

This is my own oppinion as a reader, and just an analisis.

I'll work in another story, since this one didn't result as I expected. In the next competition I try to keep the same series but a completely different story with other characters, maybe a darker one.

It was a pity you hadn't gotten any answers from the winners. Even if they don't leave a comment, at least a note for one of the moderators giving a thanks is a great thing to do. I agree with TroyB.

#8 21 Mar, 2012 16:25:43

Robot Panda

Truth to be told, there's nothing bad about adaptations of old stories, especially this year, where apparently we'll be swarmed with them by Hollywood. Not every good story needs to be original, heck, most of them aren't. Even when one things of a new character, chances are someone similar to that already exists and people will relate to it. There's absolutely nothing bad with this.

Now, popularity contests never work properly. Especially on the internet where all it comes down to is who has more followers, bigger FB friendlist and such. That's why it wasn't only the readers' votes that were taken into account.

#9 22 Mar, 2012 01:01:31

ivy-mitsuno

it was fun I never entered in a competition before, but this is what I have to say, it was great experience competing with artists that deserved do win, and made me realize I still have a long way, and like I always say in situations like this "worth to try"

#10 22 Mar, 2012 09:30:08

Toh

And here we are after 6 months~

First of all, I wanna say a BIG BIG THANK YOU to all of my supporters who voted for me and who followed my project. 663 votes is a lot from my perspective and i really appreciate all your support people!

So this competition went on for 6 months which is a lot and I think having such competitions is very "healthy| for all growing artists to develop their skills!

For me it was a great experience to do all those pages every week, and with each page i learned new things and techniques. It was awesome, although it was right in the middle of my bachelor degree graduation and all my state exams and senior projects and all. The amilova team was really patient with me and I am very grateful for that!

Although I don't like whining and complaining, i kinda agree with IDias about the fact that not all of the comic books started on equal grounds. I am kinda okay with non-original stories like hellsing and stuff, but what was challenging for me was compeeting with comic books that had already started in the past, had time to think over their scenarios, characters, etc. while for example each week i had to struggle with my university work and my comic project for each single page. From another point of view that pushed me to work harder tho. but sometimes it didn't feel completely equal in the competition with the already premade comic books.

It was great that people commented back to my pages, say what they think - what they like or dislike. This user input was really great and helped me realise some mistakes, although i didn't have the time to repair them. It was also awesome watching other people's projects grow and develop. I will continue follow some of the projects here like The Heart of earth for example ( one of my favorites ).

Of course, i was a bit down due to the fact that on user votes I was 7th (same number of votes as the 6th) and the jury decided to demote me to 11th~ would be awesome if someday they post some responses on the projects and what the jury thinks about them, but I know that is too much to do on all 110 projects that participated.

As a whole I am very happy to have participated in this awesome competition. There were some bittersweet moments but all that is just part of the fun smile

Cheers to you all!

p.p. Oh and thanks to this competition me and some of my translators managed to meet with JohanDark which was awesome - he is a very talented nutt crazy dude check is work out ! tongue

Last edited by Toh (22 Mar, 2012 09:30:54)

#11 22 Mar, 2012 13:29:45

TroyB
Administrator

Thank you all for your positive feedback and fair play wink. That's nice to read smile !

You're talking about the jury's analysis :

TroyB wrote:

So, if you're interested, you know what to do wink.

Cheers,

Troy

Board footer